Sacramento Class Action Attorneys
What is a Class Action Lawsuit?
A class action is a type of lawsuit in which one or more named plaintiffs sue on behalf of all members of a group who suffered from a common injustice. This recovers damages for the entire group without the need for each member of the group to file an individual lawsuit.
These types of cases are vastly more efficient, and economical, than individual lawsuits. Kershaw Talley Barlow class action lawyers successfully led and prosecuted numerous class action lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the country representing individuals, businesses and consumers in matters involving:
- Wage and hour violations
- Failure to pay overtime
- Predatory lending practices
- Improper banking practices (improper late fees)
- Improper credit card practices (improper late fees)
- Telephone and cellular phone company overcharges
- Automotive industry practices (auto dealer vs. manufacturer actions)
- False advertising
- Consumer fraud
- Qui Tam/Whistle Blower actions
- Antitrust violations
- Defective consumer products
What Are the Advantages of Class Action Lawsuits?
Class action lawsuits are an important tool for individuals and businesses to seek justice, when they have been wronged by a large corporation or entity. By joining together in a class action lawsuit, plaintiffs can increase their collective bargaining power to ensure that the defendant is held accountable and provides fair compensation for the harms done. This type of litigation also allows people to join forces with others who are affected by similar circumstances. This can prove advantageous for individuals who may not have enough money or resources to pursue individual cases against powerful entities. Class actions are often more cost-effective than filing multiple individual claims, allowing all members of the group access to justice at an affordable price.
How to Start a Class Action Lawsuit
If you have been wronged by a large corporation or entity, and feel that your rights have been violated, then you may want to consider filing a class action lawsuit. However, to open a class action lawsuit, it’s important to understand the process involved in doing so. A qualified Sacramento Class Action Attorney can provide guidance throughout this process and ensure that your rights are protected every step of the way. Here are a few of the steps necessary to get started:
- Determine Eligibility - The first step to filing a class action lawsuit is determining if you are eligible to join the class and pursue legal action. Your Sacramento Class Action Attorney can assess your case and determine whether or not you qualify as a member of the proposed class.
- Select Lead Plaintiffs - Once eligibility has been determined, lead plaintiffs must be selected in order for a class action lawsuit to commence. These individuals will be responsible for representing the entire class throughout litigation proceedings, which may include attending court appearances, negotiating settlements with defendants and other important tasks required by law.
- Submit Complaint - A formal complaint is then filed with the court outlining every detail of the incident(s) that led up to this point, including all relevant facts related to each plaintiff’s claim against the defendant(s). The complaint serves as an official notice that an individual or group of people intend on seeking remedies from those who caused them harm or loss through wrongful conduct or negligence.
- Certify Class Members - After submitting a formal complaint, it is necessary for courts to certify members of the proposed class in order for any type of relief (financial compensation) to be distributed among class members after litigation.
- Negotiate Settlement - Once class is certified, attorneys representing both parties typically enter into negotiations to reach a mutually agreeable settlement without the need for a lengthy and expensive trial. In some cases, defendants may deny liability or dispute certain aspects of a plaintiff’s complaint which could lead to an actual trial in court.
Kershaw Talley Barlow class action lawyers provide legal representation to those seeking justice in open class action lawsuits. We have a successful track record of recovering damages for individuals and groups who have suffered injustice due to the wrongful conduct or negligence of others. Our attorneys are uniquely qualified to help you get the compensation that you deserve.
Over $1 billion recovered for our clients
Kershaw Talley Barlow succeeded in obtaining significant settlements and judgments for thousands of workers, credit card holders, purchasers of defective products, customers of Internet services providers, and purchasers of prescription drugs, to name a few.
Call (916) 520-6639 for a free consultation, and find out how we can help you. We are ready to listen to your concerns and offer our guidance.
Millions in Settlements. Even More in Client Trust.
KTB Helped Me Through It All
“KTB Helped Me Through It All”
I am thankful to Kershaw Talley Barlow, and I would highly recommend them to my friends and family.
“I am thankful to Kershaw Talley Barlow, and I would highly recommend them to my friends and family. Bill Kershaw and his staff are very knowledgeable and cared about my well-being.”
Very thorough and knowledgeable. Explained everything to me in great detail. I feel that they actually cared about me.
“Great firm. Was always able to reach them or receive prompt return call. Very thorough and knowledgeable. Explained everything to me in great detail. I feel that they actually cared about me.”
Recommend Him and His Firm Highly
“I’ve been very pleased with Stuart Talley's service with an ongoing lawsuit against a major corporation and recommend him and his firm highly.”