It's no secret that summer is the deadliest season on America's roads. According to data from the National Safety Council (NSC), the number of car accident fatalities spikes during the summer months. To help keep the roads a safer place, the Kershaw Talley Barlow team is here to talk about why car accidents may be more common during the summer and what you can do to stay safe on the roads.
Why Are There So Many Accidents?
Summertime is the most deadly time to drive. According to data from the National Safety Council, more fatal accidents occur during the summer months than at any other time of year. Numerous factors contribute to this trend. First, summertime is when most people take vacations. This means that there are more cars on the road and more opportunities for accidents.
Second, summer weather is often hot and humid. This can lead to fatigue and distraction, both of which can increase the risk of an accident.
Finally, summer is when many teenage drivers hit the road for the first time. Inexperienced drivers are more likely to make mistakes, and these mistakes can be deadly. For all these reasons, summertime is the most dangerous time to be behind the wheel.
Tips On Driving During The Summer
However, these statistics aren’t here to scare you but to bring more awareness to how dangerous the roads can be. You can follow some of these tips to keep the whole family safe this summer:
- Plan your route in advance and avoid congested areas if possible.
- Stay alert and focused on your driving, and avoid distractions such as talking on the phone or eating.
- Take frequent breaks to cool down and rest.
- Keep the car well-ventilated by using the air conditioning or opening the windows.
- Leave plenty of space between you and the car in front of you. This will give you time to brake if necessary and will help reduce the chances of a rear-end collision.
- Pay attention to the flow of traffic and yield right away. This will help you avoid accidents and keep traffic moving smoothly.
Involved in a Car Accident?
Sadly, accidents do happen. If you or someone you know has been recently involved in a car accident this summer, our legal team can help. The Kershaw Talley Barlow team has decades of experience handling car accident claims and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call us at (916) 520-6639 or visit our website to get started on a free consultation.